Sunday, May 9, 2010

Trash-to-Treasure: Grapefruit Sugar Hand Scrub

Since DH left for Basic Training, I've had quite a bit of time on my hands. So to keep from falling to pieces, I've been letting my crafty side run wild...and right in time for Mother's Day! This post is coming the day after because I didn't want to spoil the surprise for my Mom and my brother's wives.


I got the idea for a Lemon Scrub over at Under the Table and Dreaming by Stephanie Lynn I used her recipe for the mixture at first, but I needed to make more and I was pressed for time so I used the old, "A little of this, a little of that..." method--throw it all in the KitchenAid and Wa-LAA! My mixture isn't as oily as hers but I tried it out and it works great at scrubbing off those rough patches and adding just the right amount of moisture to your hands! Not to mention the fabulous scent! I'm excited to try out other scents too. You can make this with any fragrance oil of your choice.


While my Dad was here this weekend, we dropped by a yard sale and I found the perfect containers for $0.50 each (again, I failed at taking a before picture....I really need to get better at that). I dressed them up a bit and I think they turned out great.

I even decided to use this as a graduation gift for my friend Shantel. Since she is a True Aggie, I figured she'd like the Aggie Blue and White:

If you ask me, homemade things make the best gifts! I had a blast putting these together and I hope all the Mothers (and Shantel) enjoy their Grapefruit Sugar Hand Scrub!! Love you all!!

5 What You Think:

Candace said...

My goodness Megan you just do it all! Thanks again for taking pictures today I am SO excited to see how they turn out!!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Megan - Your scrubs look fabulous! I love the idea of throwing in the mixer {genius} Thanks so much for linking back - I greatly appreciate it! Your jars are simply adorable! Hope you have a great week! Thanks again! Stephanie Lynn

The Dom Family said...

Megan my dear you are so crafty!! When did that happen? haha I miss you my love, when are we going to have a sleepover?

Kai and Kimberlee said...

Hey Megan... Not sure if you know who I am but I am the same age as your brother Matt. I heard about your husband going to basic training. My husband went last year...if you need anything, need to talk, cry... let me know! I've been there done that... and know exactly what you are going through! Seems like the LONGEST 6months to a year without him...but somehow you make it through!!!
~Kimberlee Kay Jensen

Sara said...

Megan,
I only just found your blog due to a blog we both frequent! I fell in love with your scrubs and I think I need to try it out! Would it be okay to "copy" your idea? Where did you get the fragrance for the scrub?
I am a teacher and I think this would be a great gift idea for my team...well sort of, 2 of them are men!:)
Keep the ideas crackin! I hope it's okay I cheked out your blog! I might start stalking it...if I have your permission!